Setup your environment
- Install the latest ASP.NET AJAX Extensions 1.0
- Unpack the AJAX Control Toolkit into a folder on your computer
Configure Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Web Developer
- Create a new web site from the ASP.NET AJAX web site template by opening the "File"
menu, clicking "New", "Web Site...", and picking "ASP.NET AJAX Web Site" under "My
- Right-click on the Toolbox and select "Add Tab", and add a tab called "AJAX Control
- Inside that tab, right-click on the Toolbox and select "Choose Items..."
- When the "Choose Toolbox Items" dialog appears, click the "Browse..." button. Navigate
to the folder where you installed the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit package. You
will find a folder called "SampleWebSite", and under that another folder called
"bin". Inside that folder, select "AjaxControlToolkit.dll" and click OK. Click OK
again to close the Choose Items Dialog.
- You can now use the included sample controls in your web sites!
Installing AJAX Control Toolkit Templates
- In the folder where you installed the AJAX Control Toolkit package, you will find
a folder called "AjaxControlExtender" with a file called "AjaxControlExtender.vsi"
inside it - double-click AjaxControlExtender.vsi to install it
- Choose which templates you would like to install, then click "Next", then "Yes"
to allow the unsigned content (note: as a public project, this content can't be
signed by Microsoft), then "Finish"
- You have now installed the templates are ready to create your own Toolkit-based
web site or ASP.NET AJAX Extenders!
The AJAX Control Toolkit Extender Templates are for building extenders
and controls and need Visual Studio C#/VB Express. The Toolkit Website Templates
work with Visual Web Developer Express. If you have Visual Studio then all templates
can be installed.
The TemplateVSI project has a dependency on vjslib.dll which is
a part of the Visual J# Redistributable Package. If you would like to build that
project successfully then please install the package from
Upgrading to a newer Toolkit release
If you were using an older release of the Toolkit and now need to move to a later
version here are the recommended steps:
- Binaries: Overwrite all old instances of the Toolkit binary "AjaxControlToolkit.dll"
on your machine with the new one.
- Toolbox items: Delete the old tab that listed Toolkit controls
and recreate it using the new Toolkit DLL.
- Toolkit templates: Reinstall the new "AjaxControlExtender.vsi"
and check to overwrite the old templates in the "Add Templates" wizard.